Monday, July 11, 2011

Leading up to departure

Hi everyone!

Before getting my blood test results, which are supposed to be ruling out hemochromatosis, I am being optmistic enough to begin my blog. This gives everyone a chance to 'follow' should they wish to and gets me back into the habit of blog writing. I truly did not expect to be doing it again so soon!

At this time we are short of two visas for the voyage, for India and China. George goes up to Toronto to do this and usually takes in a visit to the Jazz festival at the same time so enjoys himself. At home we have strted to decide what to take to wear for the voyage....warm at first and getting colder in China and Taiwan or Japan ( if the US travel advisory is lifted...I rather hope not as would love to visit Taiwan). Layering is the only answer. As we have decoded to fly Porter Airlines out of Toronto our baggage allowance is limited and we shall have to be awfully restrained in our packing....something I am not known for! Well, three and a half months is a long time to have limited changes of clothes...

I am excited that Brenda (Ewing) will be on board from Montreal until Cape Town (so will be visiting Morocco, Ghana and South Africa with us) and then Jeannie Rodger my great friend who lives in Kenya will embark in Cape Town and be with us until India. The three of us are visiting my cousins Jeff, Janneke and Findlay Tattersall in Sri Lanka instead of staying in India on this occasion. Jeannie will fly back to Nairobi on Emirates from Columbo. All four of us< Brenda included are travelling to the Karoo (Calitzdorp) for a few days in South Africa and then a night (with wine tasting!) in Stellenbosch before returning to the ship. Brenda will fly back to Canada the day we sail ...on to the Indian Ocean and Mauritius.

The hardest part of being away so long is leaving family and friends and Bess our Bichon/Terrier. She is lying happily at my feet as I write. I am also sad to miss the glorious Ontario Fall this year...missing winter is a much better idea!

I might add a few words as time goes on up to our departure date...so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment