Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thoughts of a lucky woman...

George is off to Toronto to hand in the applications for our China Visas...another 'car' day for me. Time was alittle short and as we drove up to the University for him to catch the bus, Rossini's music (not sure what) was playing on the car radio. It was appropriate to our frantic mood and George turned to me and said "Oh I love this!" Although he can't play any instrument George is so knowledgeable about music and gets more obvious pleasure from listening to what he loves than almost anyone I know. Favourites as diverse as Mozart operas and John Coltrane send him into paroxisms of pure joy!

When I know I can drive anywhere the wanderlust bug attacks and I think Manitoulin and Halifax, Vancouver and Nelson BC! However one glance at the gas guage tells me I must pull in my boundaries. I shall venture up to Waterdown and come back to Dundas by the Sydenham Hill, the view from which spreads our town, the escarpment and Hamilton in the distance all before me.I shall park at the top of the hill and gaze in wonder at our own little bit of the world and count myself so fortunate to live in this place and in this country.

The weather is sunny and hot but I know we shall be in much hotter places before the year ends: Accra, Chennai, Columbo and Galle in Sri Lanka, Penang, Saigon and Na Trang. Then the colder weather will set in for a bit: Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taiwan before warming up for the last time in Costa Rica, Panama and Fort Lauderdale. The last time before the icy joys of a Canadian winter. You can understand what I mean by the necessity of 'layering'!

Sadly it is too hot for Bess to accompany me in the car. I feel so guilty going out of the door when she's sitting looking at me as if to say 'Oh no not again? What about me?' I shall have my usual difficulty glancing at her when we leave for our flight to Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment