Thursday, September 8, 2011

Las Palmas

We have been bunkering today in Las Palmas. We are on the Port side of the ship and faced the white houses and church of the old town, cars running busily along the harbour and shore road. Strange to watch life continuing busily before you and being unable to join in!

Memories: We, John, Sheona and I, called into this port on our way home (the UK) from Ghana: I think it was in winter because we bought Sheona a red woolen coat and her very first pair of shoes. She hated wearing any of these clothes as she was used to a pair of underpants and bare feet! We were on our final voyage from Ghana and Africa, sailing out of Takoradi. Sheona was only 15 months old. We ran into horrendous weather in the western approaches to Britain on that voyage I remember: gale force winds and huge seas and our ship the Elder Dempster Line 'Accra' seemed to be tossed around like a cork. This beautiful ship, so much larger and faster, seems alot safer!

After breakfast today Brenda (1) came up and sat on our deck with me but we were ultimately forced into the cabin because of high winds...we had wrapped ourselves up in two of my stoles because it was quite chilly...Don (steward) decided to wash down all the deck furniture which was covered with a thick yellow dust from Casablanca. Brenda (2) came up with George later for drinks after his class in which B. is a student...I felt very proper as I finished my mug of tea and watched them knocking back (my) Scotch!

We discussed some of the strange happenings which had taken place with students and Life long Learners in Morocco. We have a very few 'toxic' (that's the word being used) people on board who have caused great unhappiness to others in their travel groups. One wonders what is the attraction of coming on board a ship dedicated to academic teaching and learning, to behave as hostile 'know it alls', being excessively rude to everyone. We fortunately have been blessed with wonderful companions, 'travellers' who revel in the experience. We had only one 'complainer' on our tour and the main targets were our delightful guide, our hotel and Morocco itself...I wanted to say to her sweetly "Can I help you find a flight back to the good ole USA?!"

Afternoon: We have just sailed out of Las Palmas and are on a calm and steady course for Accra, Ghana. The sun is shining and there is again a cool, strong breeze which has forced George inside from his deck chair. He is busy working on various dialects and he has asked me to identify each...he does them well and it's great fun.

I'm off shortly to watch Michael's Acting 1 class. I get such pleasure from watching him inspire the students to do outrageous African movements and sounds they may never have heard or done before...they really get into the spirit of things and (if they commit to attending rehearsal) they should have a wonderful show.

Leter: Watched an incredible rehearsal again of the Acting group and have offered my services to the students to help them learn lines and have been asked to prompt later.

Lovely evening spent with the two Brendas, Evelyn, who told me funny, fascinating stories of visits to China, Alfred and Terry (LLL assistant co-ordinator), Steve and George. Intended to attend our next drumming session from Amy but we came to bed after drinks and chat in Steve and Brenda's cabin when the previous speaker in the Union went on for ages. It became too late for us all.

George sound asleep, calm seas, good book, off to bed. Kwaheri!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Maggie:
    Liz and I are having trouble sending you blogs. This is just a test message to see whether I have overcome the problem. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! It looks as though I may have been successful. I will let Liz know if I can find her. David.

    ReplyDelete