Thursday, September 1, 2011

A significant date

1st September 2011

On Sept. 1, 1939, World War II began as Nazi Germany invaded Poland...lest we forget.

WW2 was awful for me in many ways (separation from parents), and yet wonderful in others (living in South Africa), a projection of all the years to come....life. It's stunning to think how many people I thought I would/could never live without, would always be there, have shuffled off this mortal coil.. it's true that life goes on, with or without us. We take each other foregranted never imagining a world where ourselves or the other have ceased to exist...and yet here is our planet, spinning on. Hmmm. Off to meditate!

Lovely breakfast being blown to bits by a cool breeze on the Garden Lounge deck with the two Brendas, Steve and George. It's so invigorating to get that initial blast of sea air which blows the cobwebs away. Followed by Brenda and I picking up our reading from the library. From Sister Killjoy, short stories about Ghana and Nigeria from a Ghanaian writer. Ama Ata Aidoo. I started reading immediately and returned it a few minutes late (because of Global Studies) and received my second reprimand from the librarian on being late (15 minutes I think). I had earlier explained that Brenda and I would pass it on to each other but keep checking in. The other students in the class seem to have their own copies so we are the only two using these reserved reading materials...two hours at a time. Talk about pressure... miss you Warner!

Global studies today was chock-a-block full of information on the geography, history and religions of Morocco. However, trying to absorb it all whilst listening to a very loud strained voice again, followed by a repeat of much of the information was trying to say the least. I did enjoy the clip of Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart and 'Sam' at the piano in Casablanca the old movie....although it must appear pre-historic to the students!

I must seem to drift from meal to meal because I have just returned to our cabin to hibernate until 2.20 from lunch. This time in bright sunshine and a warm-er breeze. Get this, the students were excited because we had....no not ice cream...no not a filet steak...we had BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!! I couldn't believe the enthusiasm...helping after helping and plates scraped clean....for brussel sprouts. George (whose mother did not serve vegetables unless they were cooked into a mush) left ONE on his plate. We, Brenda, Kimberley (student) and I were all eyeing it, but I felt in a privileged position and quickly 'forked' it! Well you know what they say caviar would be cheap if it was plentiful, kippers would be worth a king's ransome if there were only one or two....brussel sprouts are popular because we rarely set eyes on a green leafy veg.. We have lettuce coming out of our ears but that doesn't count.

George is teaching, our class (Women's World Literature with Rashna Singh) starts at 2.20 pm so I'm going to read a new good book: The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak...it is alot about the 13th century Sufi poet Rumi, but with a thoroughly modern story intertwined. I am so happy to have been lent it (by Brenda 1) as I have finished, therefore lost, The Help...which I loved. I was finding it hard to move on until this landed in my hands....thank you Brenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment