Monday, September 12, 2011

Strange Day...

12th September

It was grey this morning, the beginning of rains in Ghana and it was reflected here at sea. I was almost awake very early worrying about how we were going to pay for our Ghanaian trip. What if no ATM will accept my card? What if the car breaks down? What if we're not back in time? You know how lying half asleep can intensify our concerns? So I got up, took a shower and made tea with my $3.00 Value Village coffee percolator. Actually I had woken George at 1.35 am telling him it was 5 past 7 and he was pretty forgiving....I love luminous clocks and watches but they are deceptive..this was the least I could do.

George had a class at 8 am, was speaking in Global Studies this morning on Pidgins and Creoles and then had another class at 10.45. He left his first class early because he was sweating and feeling dizzy. I was worried and wondered if he should cancel Global studies but, trooper that he is, he went and delivered a great lecture and then went on to teach his second class. I had been sitting at the back in GS in case he collapsed!

We have been planning our Silver Wedding celebration on the 18th September which we are sharing with Alfred and Terry Hunt because Alfred has his 70th birthday on the same day. So far we have 16 guests I believe and 3 tables. The guests have to pay $ 40.00 each (ex SAS-ers will realise the price has increased by $15.00!) so we are grateful for their presences. We shall do the wine and SAS provide the champagne...so that's not a bad deal. It will be strange to celebrate this miraculous (!) day without family and friends so we are fortunate indeed to have met people on board this year with whom we have 'clicked' so beautifully

George has fallen asleep. It's only three and a half days away but I shall miss him terribly. Isn't life strange? Love creeps up...

Kwaheri. See you in a few days. Ghana here we come!

3 comments:

  1. Maggie, It seems to have worked. Next time I'll send something relevant! Enjoying your blogs>. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maggie,I just love your blog! It brings it all back to me as I start to prepare for January (S2012). I do wish you were going to be on that too'
    I'm sorry they have upped the price on special dinners. I shall be thinking of you on the 18th. (Also beginning to think about clothes to bring -ah -. something to dress in for Capt's dinner!) We must somehow see each other sometime next year. Continue writing. Ann

    ReplyDelete