Sunday, August 28, 2011

First real sea day

28th August

To all my friends and concerned parents reading this blog, we have been reassured that we shall be at least 600 miles away from 'Irene' at all times.

It is a foggy day in the Atlantic: it's 10.50 am and I thought it would have cleared...I think the sun is struggling to get through. It is very calm although newcomers to sea travel seem to be feeling the gentle motion and thinking it's 'really rolling'...no it isn't!

We have had our first Global Studies in the Union. It was interesting and fun...good introduction for students I thought. Emphasising being open to all experiences and being aware that the whole planet is the home we share with millions of others, some of whom we will be visiting and getting to know a little. We were asked to turn and talk to our neighbours to find out what each other's hopes and expectations were. I asked the students in front of Brenda and me. The first said she was open to everything and looking forward to swimming in cages with sharks in South Africa and sky diving. I suggested there might be more to see and was happy to discover that she had already put her name down for a township visit and had actually booked a trip to Robben Island....a v. wise move as it is usually heavily booked. The other student was looking forward to the ports....didn't mention the sea voyage which is such a huge part of the whole journey but I didn't have a chance to ask more questions. Mark Thomas (Academic Dean) gave an interesting and humorous talk on maps and how they can lie.

Michael and Ettie Williams, Anjie and Emma came to our cabin for a drink last night ...Ankie's 14th birthday. She has become a beautiful and mature young woman who told us with great analytical skill why the end of a book she had just read (by The Kite Runner author....A Hundred thousand suns?)should have ended less disappointingly. Michael has invited us to accompany them in Ghana to a performance of an opera he has written....I haven't booked our Ghana trip to Kumasi yet and am sorely tempted. He has also suggested that as his classes are full and closed to Life Long Learners George and I give a class (with his supervision) and use playreading as an outlet for them. Sounds great to me....Brenda will join us.

Rashna Singh was also with us and has OK'd Brenda and I attending her lectures. Writing back to the Empire and Women's World Literature.

Later: Attended two excellent lectures today, Michael's and Rashna's. Rashna is gentle, interesting, strict and dedicated. We have some interesting short essays to read to start....will comment on those when I've done my homework. Michael is exhilerating to watch. We were crammed into a classroom (his choice we could have been in the Union) and he had great student participation. He is funny and wonderful at drawing the students out. I didn't even identfy myself...sat very quietly and gave the wrong answer to the only question he suddenly threw at me. What is traverse theatre...do any of you know? No looking it up on line allowed. My answer was wrong but on the right track. Email me with the correct response!

Tonight had drinks at 5pm with Alfred, Terry his wife (also the LLL assistant co-ordinator) a delightful woman, Evelyn Hannon, Brenda, Mark Thomas and ourselves. Had supper with Alfred and Terry and then Brenda and I sat and chatted with her for ages while the men attended a meeting.

Have just read a play called Karoo Moose which ||michael asked me to read for a possible playreading with the LLLs. I feel it is very African, even South African, and I'm not sure the LLLs will 'get it'. Heart rending and shocking but beautifully and petically written. Couldn't help thinking that it would be marvellous for the students to tackle. They would learn alot.

Off to bed where G. is going to read to me some short pieces about train travel. Should be good. The boat is starting to rock a little so we should sleep well....no sheltering islands now!

Kwaheri, go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment