Sunday, August 21, 2011

On Board finally

August 21st

As we sail out of Boston I will say only that we have finally made it to Cabin number 3077. SAS-ers will know that is a student number on the third deck. We are here until 1 pm on the 25th when all participents in the Sino American Forum leave the ship. They are honoured guests and occupy our cabins whilst we learn the hard way what students have to put up with for three and a half months! I miss the joy of opening a door to fresh air on a balcony and the tiny toilet/shower reminds me how fortunate we are to have a bath and shower in our much larger bathrooms. We only have to put up with these minor inconveniences for a few days and we can see a light at the end of this short tunnel. They on the other hand step over each other for what must seem like an eternity. I remember how impressed my theatre class mates were to see our huge space, bath and balcony on our last voyage. One student 'won' an afternoon in our cabin with a long bath thrown in at the big auction!

George bought his alloted 2 bottles of wine in Boston this morning only to have them confiscated by security until Montreal! The rule only applies then but no one said. Mandy is on board at the bar...probably the best bar tender George has ever know....and that's an enormous compliment believe me! Tonight he alone serves about 100 of us up there with speed and aplomb. He leaves the ship for a holiday when we reach Hong Kong...panic!

Have met so many delightful people: if you're readin this Chris (Hill) we had supper with your friend Raksha Singh this evening and thoroughly enjoyed her company. She has offered to take me to find my father's place of work the old National Bank of India (Grindlays later) in Chennai. I haven't been able to do so previously. I shall be taking her classes too on Empire literature....great books to read. George says to tell you (and I agree) that she is much softer on the British than you were in your lectures! She shares my love of the movie Ghandi. (Have I spelled that correctly?!)

Erika Michael Williams and his family boarded today after a harrowing flight from London toBoston with their plane having to turn back because of some unknown fault. Scary stuff! Chatted with Nettie Williams and their two daughters at our 6 pm boat drill....I know we were naughty but it all so looong! I told one woman in short sleeves that perhaps she should put on something with long sleeves before the alert actually sounded and she said "No I swim better in short sleeves"! (Like we're off for a recreational dip!) I asked if she had a hat and she said "I've cruised alot and have never heard of such a thing....have you ever been on a cruise before?" I said 'yes' and she said "This is just a joke anyway"! We had just been told over the intercom by Captain Jeremy Kingston (he's back again Theresa) how serious it was and they had just turned George back for wearing shorts (as we're avoiding unpacking yet) so I said "No it's not a joke"...but, you'll be happy to know I walked away. A woman next to me said later 'I hope she doesn't have cause to regret it'....I hope not for all our sakes! There's nowt so queer as folks...as they say somewhere!

We had a special sit-down dinner this evening which was delicious and the stewards we knew gave us a great welcome...hugs and all! Also met up with Matt Parisi of comic fame...just on until Montreal.

All this mainly for ex-SASers. Wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment