Monday, August 22, 2011

Oh Canada!

22nd August

I wrote a long blog yesterday which was dumped into the atmosphere when the ship decided to 'turn us off'!

First of all thank you very much Chris for letting me know of the death of Jack Layton. We were both devastated, I had no idea how ill he was. I had a good cry as I read his letter, we have lost such a great politician and a humble and gracious man.

Our voyage continues towards Canada to my great joy. How I wish I could see some of you in Montreal! Never mind I hope we might meet up with Emmett from voyage 1.

I have become such a Canuck! I want to read Jack Layton's letter to the whole ship...what an example he is to the American politicians of the moment.

Had supper with Michael Williams the South African theatre prof and his family. He is such a live wire and has a great sense of humour. His daughters have grown up and matured since last year. The youngest said "I simply cannot conceive of staying awake for another two hours"...she's about 11 I think. I am still tempted to do his classes because I enjoy him so much but could I keep up?!

Listened to an excellent talk at the Sino American Forum today. Thanked this man this evening for making it so interesting and he looked at me and said "It wasn't me"! Talk about feeling an idiot! Well I was sitting at the back and he did look like him....

Our Academic Dean just apologised to me for not introducing me to Faculty and families at yeaterday's meeting. Each family member had to stand up and their names were called out. Georg's turn came, we both stood and he introduced George, then cracked a joke and moved on to the next person. I slowly and, I hoped unobtusively, sank down into my chair....somewhat embarrassed as you might imagine. So tonight he apologised and said 'I honestly thought I had said your name'. I forgave him. He has great charm and humour and is pretty dynamic I think. He has suggested to George that they give a combined seminar on cricket making it compulsary for all the (American) students to attend! They talked non-stop cricket for a full 5 minutes standing in the hallway outside the Union.....boring! Seriously it will be interesting and fun to have an English Academic Dean. His name....Mark Thomas!

George is on the bed sound asleep and it's only 8.50 pm....does this sound familiar dear blog readers from the last 2 voyages?! It's amazing how tired one becomes after a day on board. George and I badly needing fresh air (we have nothing to open to let in fresh air in this cabin), ate our lunch in a howling gale on the deck outside the 5th floor dining room. As I raised my loaded fork to my mouth half of it blew on to G's sweat shirt so that he was covered with specks of fish and rice....I wasn't popular! I laughed out loud at my hair when I later, after stopping to chat to friends, looked in a mirror in the cabin...I looked as though something had pumped 1000 electric volts into my head and 'wired' my hair. No one had said a word as they conversed with this wild, wild creature.

Had my first pedicure from Angela in the Wellness Spa and my feet look stunningly beautiful....honestly. I keep gazing at them in awe, these toes which I usually hide away in closed sandals are now bared for all to see....brazen hussy that I am.

I am now taking them and me to bed. May flights of angels etc etc

No comments:

Post a Comment