Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Magic!

We've had a lovely day today coming up the St Lawrence as I described. Tonight the icing on the cake was that suddenly as we were standing on deck admiring the view there arose from the river banks a twinkling castle (chateau) on a hill with sharp cliffs beside...Quebec City! What a sight, I cannot find words. There was still a little glow in the sky but it was moments after dusk and here was fairyland spread out before us....pure magic! The Canadian flag flew at half mast for Jack Layton, the motor boats and jetskis were showing off on and over our wake, lights sparkled all along the banks. There are 5 of us on board who are Canadian and we stood together proudly explaining history (George), Wolf and Champlain, Jack Layton and Quebecois which our Francophone companion, Michel Boudrias an oceanographer, demonstrated with great flair!

Later our South African friend, Michael Williams (Theatre prof and Artistic Director of Opera Cape Town) talked of his great admiration for the new Opera House in Toronto where we had seen the Canadian Ballet doing Eugene Onegin. Michael says the ecoustics are the best in the world and he was an admirer and friend of Richard Bradshaw, artistic/musical director of the Toronto Opera who died before the Opera House opened.

We discussed language in Canada and South Africa. Similarities in that French was pushed in Quebec and Afrikaans in South Africa, both policies causing great hardship for many. The movement of people and companies out of Quebec and South Africa.

We watched Michael 'cream' opponents playing Table Tennis....he's very competitive and plays with grace and a dancer's style. Because I love Table tennis i would have loved to have played him but only men took him on and G. said I hadn't a hope. I have to say I beat George every time we played recently!!

Listened to the retired American Ambassador to China giving a superb talk on the future of Sino American relations this afternoon. I was entranced....what a great speaker. We are so fortunate to be able to hear these distinguished people who have great depth of knowledge and are wonderfully articulate.

George has just read out our news sheet. Desmond Tutu is coming on board on our last evening in Cape Town and is giving a talk in the Union. He travelled on the last spring voyage and has been connected with SAS for years. I have always wanted to meet him....well at least I shall hear him. What a privilege.

It is 10 o'clock and G. is in bed...surprise, surprise! I am slowing down on my reading of The Help because I don't want it to end. It's such a great book and I love the characters. I can hear their Southern voices as I read. Wish I had done this before Vieux Carre.

Kwaheri and Go Well...I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment